Then I was wheeled into a very cold room. The had me move from my bed to a very skinny bed. I couldn't lay my arm to the side of me because there was no bed so I had to lay it on top of me. They prepped me with all the ansthesia stuff and then I went to sleep. Next thing I knew I was in another holding area and they were giving me a drink of water. My mouth and throat and lips were extremely dry. My head was bandaged and I was very groggy. The small amount of water that I drank made me a little nauseous. I found out that the surgery started at 1 pm and was done by 5:30 pm. The tumor was very big, 5 centimeters, but they were able to get it out in one piece, which is a good thing. The Dr. said he had never seen a case like mine because the nerves were crossed and one was folded over. You'll have to ask Denver more of the details because he talked with the Dr. more. I was kept in the other holding area until about 8:30pm and then they wheeled me to my recovery room where Denver was waiting for me.
The hospital was so full we had to share a room with someone. We got the bad side of the room. The lady next to me was waiting to have surgery because she had pain in her gall bladder/pancreas. At about midnight, the new nurse on schedule told Denver he had to leave because we were in a shared room and it was hospital policy. This was right when he was helping me pump. I, not knowing he couldn't stay with me all night, got really emotional. I couldn't pump on my own and didn't want the nurses to help throughout the night and was scared and in pain. The lady next to us was very nice and told the nurse she didn't mind if he stayed. The nurse went to ask and came back and said he could stay if our neighbor lady truly didn't mind. I was so grateful for her! So, he stayed. In the morning, the Dr. and residents came in to look at the swelling and to take out the drain (that HURT!). We were discharged early, around 10am. I still hadn't eaten since 10pm the night before the surgery so I was pretty weak. They brought me breakfast of cold scrambled eggs, a piece of toast, milk, OJ, and coffee. I tried to eat, but it hurt me to chew so I drank the milk and some of the OJ.
When I got home, my mom and Denver took good care of me. I got some yogurt I could drink down, some soup and a milkshake. I've been laying in bed, hoping that I'll heal quickly. I have more anxiety than anything. I have staples in my head at the beginning of the incision and at the end that I am nervous about getting removed. I have a lot of soreness and throbbing.
Thanks to everyone for your prayers and fasting. It was very appreciated and I know I've been blessed by them.
This first picture is a picture of the size of the tumor. Dr. Cognetti took an actual picture of the tumor once it was removed so hopefully we can get a copy of it at my post-op appointment.
Right after I was wheeled to my recovery room.
13 comments:
You had a great plastic surgeon! That looks really good. (Graham's did not look as good....of course, he pushed and ruptured some internal stitches...)
I hope you're back on your feet again soon!
Wow Debbie! Surgery just after having a baby! I don't know how you do it!! I hope you feel better soon! I love reading your blog!
Wow Debbie...I had no idea! What a shock to check in a read all about your surgery. I hope you are recovering well! I'll pray for a swift recovery :)
What a trooper! Glad you are doing so well, for recovery anyway :)
Oh Debbie I hope you feel better soon! I'm so glad that things went well, you are amazing!
You're a strong women! Thanks for sharing your story, My prayers go out to you for a quick recovery.
You are in our prayers! This is a time I wish we lived in Philly again. I wish I could do something! You are amazing and such a strong women. Good luck with everything! God Bless!
OH Debbie! I am so sorry to hear about all of this. I wish I was living closer so I could help you out. Your family will be in our prayers.
I had no idea you were going through this - you'll be in our prayers! Hope you have a quick recovery!
oh girlfriend, you look like you did so well, you're a tough girl! let us know if we can do anything and we'll be thinking of you!
Debbie I am so glad that your mom is there! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
I'm so glad everything went well & that you're well on your way to recovery. We check in with DJ every time we see him. Hopefully you're feeling good. You better call if you need anything!
I hope you are feeling better. Surgery sucks, so take advantage of the few perks. (Like letting people baby you like crazy. After my surgery, Gordon was so sweet, he even washed my hair a couple of times.)
I'm thinking of you and hope your recovery goes well.
Post a Comment