Five years ago, Maelie was born at 6lbs. 9 oz. We were in the hospital then and in the hospital on her fifth birthday. Keep reading to find out why!
She grew from this...

...to this...

...to this...

...to this...

...to present day this!

She chose cornflake chicken and wanted a princess cake. I don't decorate cakes AT ALL (not that I don't want to, I just can't!), but to my five year old it was perfect which is all that matters. She LOVED it.

Opening presents. If anyone else has a daughter that wants you to draw paper dolls everyday, I found these pre-made, pre-colored paper dolls on sugardoodle.net and printed them and then lamenated them with packing tape. She loves them and I don't have to draw paper dolls any more!

So, as Maelie was opening presents, we see that her right arm is about double the size of her left. Let me back up. Two days before her birthday, Maelie fell in the hallway (not on soft carpet, but wood floors). DJ and I were downstairs and we heard her crying worse than I've ever heard her cry so we knew something was wrong. She had slipped and landed on her arm. So we decided to wait it out a bit and see if her arm was okay. The next morning I took her to the pediatrician because she still wasn't using her arm. The Dr. there thought she had nurse maid's arm and tried to pop it back into place. Thinking that was it and she was going to be fine, we went home. I tried to get her to use her arm so I could make sure it was better. The rest of the day went on and she didn't use it at all. Then the next day was her birthday. We had fun celebrating with her and after dinner and presents (we noticed her arm was swollen) I took her once again to the pediatrician. I saw a different doctor and she said it was too swollen and she didn't want to do anything because she wasn't able to get an x-ray so she referred me to the Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania (CHOP) ER. Maelie and I went there and got in fairly quickly. They gave her a room and she had a good time watching movies. She got an x-ray and then we waited some more. She told me she wanted to see her bones so the lady let her see the x-ray. In the room, Maelie asked, "mommy, do I have an arm infection?" I thought that was cute. Every time the doctors and nurses came in to check her, she would start shaking a lot like she was freezing and then when they would leave, she would stop shaking. I think she got really nervous around them. She probably thought they were going to pop her arm again. OUCH! Not once did she cry even when you could tell in her face that she was in pain. (she didn't cry until the last of her 4 shots a couple months ago either). When it comes to pain, she's very tolerant. The dr. came in and told me that it wasn't nurse maids arm and that it looked to her like a small fracture, but she wasn't positive. She told me to make an appt. with the orthopedic surgeon next week. The nurse put it in a splint and then they gave her a birthday present. She got a camera! She was so excited. I think getting the splint and the present made her day. She was so excited to show daddy and Garrett. We got home around 10pm and she conked out. I don't think this was a birthday she, nor I, will ever forget.

6 comments:
Poor girl! I hope her arm starts healing soon. I can't believe how grown up she is-- what a beautiful girl.
Don't worry about the cake decorating. I can't decorate cakes either. She probably loves everything you do-- the way you do it.
I can't believe she is 5 years old! I'm sorry to hear she had to spend some of her birthday in the hospital, no fun.
Happy Birthday Maelie!! I hope her arm starts feeling better soon!Whatta trooper to spend your birthday in th ER. I think the princess cake looked great!
Oh my goodness!! I wondered what happened when I saw her at church with a sling. Poor Maelie!! It will definitely be a memorable birthday. I'm crossing my fingers all day today for DJ!!
Happy Birthday Maelie! Abbie still talks about you, you guys need to come and visit! I hope that your arm gets better soon!
Poor Maelie, I didn't even know. What a tough little girl. If she ever wants anyone to kiss it better for her, I know just the person who would be happy to volunteer! ;)
Post a Comment